Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cherry Days

On July 4th weekend, Paonia always has a big festival called Cherry Days. Basically, it's a celebration of the first fruit harvest of the year. Grand Ave is packed with people and they have different events going on all weekend. Here are some highlights:


This is at the finish line of the bed races down Grand Ave. Basically, a team of four people puts a bed on wheels and races down the main strip. The teams dressed up, and it was quite a show.

They also had a parade. It was pretty small, but it was fun.

They had fun events going on in the park. One night they did square dancing with a professional caller.

And the whole time the park was packed. There were booths and vendors and music all day. Then on the football field there was a big carnival with a Ferris wheel, carousel, and all kinds of other rides and fun houses you'd find at a fair. I forgot to take a picture of that. Since I had the NC State fair growing up, this seemed pretty small, but to the locals it was a huge deal! People came from all around the western slope for the weekend.

Can you tell I love where I live?

4 comments:

Dani said...

How fun! I think the bed racing would have been my favorite. Except for anything which involved eating of course.

Holly said...

ha! Yeah, I think my favorite was the funnel cake from the carnival. :)

Erynn Marie said...

I'm so glad you love Paonia! I'm so glad, in fact, I'll leave off being jealous. :) Hooray for Cherry Days!

Christa said...

Oooo I can't wait for the fair! You should fly out for it.